Topic: Nervous Today
View Single Post
October 20th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well, our homebirthing practises are a little weird I guess. Because our midwife is from Montana (and we're in Alberta), I do all my prenatal care with my regular family physician/OB - the guy who delivered our first two in hospital. Our midwife comes for the homebirth, and then I follow-up with my regular doctor again after. She's 3 hours away, so this arrangement just makes more sense. And in the event of a hospital transfer, I would get my regular OB who knows me and my history - not left at the mercy of whoever happens to be on call. My regular doctor was respectful of our decision to homebirth, even if he didn't support it. I can appreciate respect.

Well, my regular doctor isn't doing deliveries anymore. That's cool, hopefully we won't need him anyway. But just in case we do need to transfer, I would still feel better if I was officially under the care of a doctor who knows me. So I have been referred to another OB in his office for the remaining weeks of pregnancy. I meet her today.

I'm just so freaked out that she's going to be rude or condescending. I really hate that. If all goes well, it won't even be an issue because we won't be going to the hospital - but I don't any extra worries at this stage of the game!

*UPDATE* I worried for nothing. She was very respectful. However, her nurse told me to strip down because Dr. W likes to start examining her patients around 35 weeks and do the Group B Strep test. I said, "Thanks, I'd really prefer to MEET her with my clothes on and if we decide to proceed under her care - she can do that next time." What if she had turned out to be everything I was scared of? I would have felt way less confident about asserting myself without my pants on!