View Single Post
October 20th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This is a really excellent question! There are lots of reasons in lots of different posts here about why women choose a homebirth, if you read down the line, topics like, what made you decide and the bestest thing I think your first question will be answered.

As far as worrying about complications, I'm far less concerned about them at home then I am at the hospital. This is where I start to sound fanatical (usually) but please understand I only state facts that I can give sources for and I support women giving birth, period. Be it in a hospital or at home it is a personal decision and I don't judge those who choose differently than I. Now that the disclaimer is over, here's what I know...

The leading causes of complication in childbirth are medical, the most common are failure to progress and fetal distress. Women have different layers of muscle in their uterus, two that help push baby down and out and one to stop labor if a fight or flight responce is triggered. So many women are afraid of labor, needles, doctors, nurses, and hospitals that when they get to the hospital their body is literally fighting like heck to keep that baby in so mom can go someplace she's comfortable in. Her blood starts pumping out to all the "essential" organs and the body doesn't consider the uterus essential, so there is an insufficient blood supply to the womb and labor stalls. This leads to either induction methods (cervidil, pitocin, and in the past cytotec) or c-section depending on how the baby is doing.

The problem with induction methods is that they stimulate the uterus in a harsh fashion. A known side effect of all of the drugs previously listed is uterine rupture which is potentially deadly for mother and baby. They can all also cause what some have coined "super contractions" which literally squeeze the life out of your baby. Drug induced contractions are shown to be more painful thus leading to drug use which can stall your labor yet again. It's a vicious cycle.

The problem with c-sections can seem less dramatic, but have the potential to be worse in the long run. Statistics show that babies born via c-section are three times more likely to die than babies born vaginally in a hospital and up to six times more likely to die than babies born vaginally at home. Recent studies from the University of Edinborough also suggest that c-section babies have a lower tolerance of bacteria because they never received the probiotics (good bacteria) that thrives in the vagina. This study suggests that c-section babies are more likely to suffer lifelong susceptibility to infections and an immature intestional tract.

Sections and drugs can also hinder precious bonding time and make breastfeeding more difficult. There are many more reason which I hope to be able to write out later, however I'm running late for an appointment so I'll have to post later. I hope this was a good starter read for you!
Steph
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler