Topic: Herbals!
View Single Post
October 23rd, 2006, 09:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know why the cohoshes do what they do, and actually a lot of the women on my other board don't like them not because they are harsh just because they don't work. Some midwives swear by them though so I'm up in the air on it.

The goldenseal would probably be used for cord care - like hospitals have you use alcohol swabs to help dry out the cord and help the end of it clot after it's been cut. I'm planning on using honey for the end of it (if we don't lotus) and witch hazel. I don't have any real preference, just that those two are easier to find.

I haven't heard a lot about comphrey but a couple of women I know say that rinsing tears with comphrey tea will help them heal faster and hurt less. I would assume that's why it's on your list.

My favourite herbals are herbal iron and gentle birth formula (similar to Natures Sunshine 5-W blend), I get both from the same supplier (actually where I get all my herbs - mountainmeadowherbs.com) and I've felt great since I started taking them. I always buy tinctures (they cured my allergies and now I swear by them) and I don't take either the iron or the birth formula as directed. Directions say to mix 1/4 teaspoon with water and drink it, I prefer to take the drops directly under my tongue and hold for fifteen seconds, then drink a glass of water. But that's just me.

Herbs that I think should be at every birth are Shephard's Purse and Dong Quai (Chinese Angelica) as they are both clotting agents. Shephards Purse cannot be taken before the placenta is released, but the Dong Quai can be taken beforehand and it will help the placenta detach. Other than that it's all personal preference. Susun Weed wrote a called Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year I haven't read (I'm poor and my library sucks but I can find enough info online that I'm over it) but other crunchy moms I know swear by it.

The other thing that I like the idea of having at birth - essential oils. Especially those that help contractions - Jasmine and lavendar are my favourites! I've asked a massage therapy student I know if she would be comfortable coming and doing massage for me using these oils while I'm in labor. She says yes, so now it's just a matter of availability.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler