View Single Post
October 25th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Mine will most certainly NOT be there. They are 4, 3, and 14 months. My reasons:

a) I think it would be too traumatizing for them to see Mommy in so much pain; the blood and everything
B) DH would be so busy managing them that he wouldn't be available to me
c) They would probably be trying to splash around in my birthpool and completely distract me, I don't need the chaos when I'm trying to cope with labour pain
d) My BIL was present when one of his siblings was born and it's an experience he wishes his mother had never forced on him. He was scared, he thought it was gross, and he really doesn't appreciate having memories of his mother like that. So.....if I were to have children present, they would have to be older and they would decided themselves if they wanted to be there or not (we would probably watch a birth video first so they have an idea of what they are getting into before seeing ME like that).

If it happens during the night, we may just let them sleep - otherwise we have several people "on call" to take them when I go into labour. The IL's will pick them up from there and keep them for a few days - except to bring them back to meet their new sibling.