View Single Post
November 2nd, 2006, 09:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have nightmares too. It's not the hospital that I fear, heck I'm a nuse and I used to work there! It's being out of control that I can't stand. I had two hospital births, they weren't horrible awful experiences...BUT, the thing I hated the most was having things either done or pushed on me that I didn't want. I hate feeling like I have no choice in the matter or like I'm a nuisance to the staff because I have preferences. I don't fear needles or monitors or medical things when they are necessary - I fear having all of that UNNECESSARILY.

I actually had a nightmare that sounds pretty silly now, but here's how it went:

I was in the hospital waiting to go into labour. It was the middle of the night and I was sleeping. A male nurse came in and wanted me to practise sucking on the Incentive Spirometer (it helps expand your lungs after you've been put under). He said he wanted me to practise "just in case" I ended up with a c/s in the next few days. I told him NO, and that I would probably end up with a c/s because I would be too exhausted from being awakened in the middle of the night for stupid things like that! I told him to get out, which he did - but was very displeased about the fact that I wasn't just complying like a good little patient.

Then in the morning, a female nurse came in with a hospital gown and asked me to put it on. I said no, my own pajamas were fine. She insisted that I be in a hospital gown because it's easier for everybody to do my internal exams if I'm wearing a gown. I said, "I don't need internal exams, I'm not in labour yet." She continued to insist, "But you HAVE to. Everybody has to wear a hospital gown. It's hospital policy." I still refrused and told her to show me the Policy and Procedure Manual where it says everybody HAS to wear one. She didn't because it was lie.

So I walked out of the hospital because I was fed up. I was going to go home and have the baby there. Then I woke up.

So you see, it's kind of funny how telling dreams are. I hate having to fight for myself and being pressured to do certain things in the hospital.