View Single Post
November 4th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Does anyone here have a child who is a perfectionist? How do you deal with it?
Yesterday, I had a spelling quiz for Reilly, using words that we had been working on for the week. When we were checking the quiz, she was happy and content UNTIL she got to the first word that she missed...then she got angry, her eyes filled with tears, and she began to pout - "I don't like school! I don't like quizzes!" etc, etc. I had her write each missed word 10 times (she only missed 2) and it was a BATTLE! (I know, I know, pick your battles...I'll admit, I didn't choose wisely!)

Now, here's what my husband and I discussed: There's really no reason for her to sit down and write the missed words over and over and over - there are many more fun ways to reinforce the missed words. I'm not sure that "spelling" is absolutely necessary, really. I think I've started it "because that's what they do in school", and I don't know if that's a valid reason.

My main question for all of my wise friends is how to deal with perfectionism as a whole. I see it in her in areas other than school - tying her shoes, for example - where she gets SO frustrated when she can't do something perfectly and she wants to quit.
Any hints?

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!