View Single Post
November 24th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it's important that your overall philosophy about birth be similar, but I don't think it's necessary to agree about every single thing. What's more important is RESPECT - I would have no problem with a midwife who had very different views from mine, as long as she was willing to RESPECT my choices and views and accomdate them during my homebirth.

My midwife and I agreed about most things. Of course there were a few things she reccomended that I didn't really like, but it was up to me. She could suggest, but I had the last word. I can completely respect that and have had no regrets about having her assist in two of my births now.

Since the issue is circumcision, I don't think it really matters in the great scheme of having a beautiful homebirth. Your midwife isn't going to go snipping your little boy the moment he's born simply because she's pro-circ! I'd let that one go since it won't be an issue during the birth anyway.

Now, if she believed episiotomies were important and was unwilling to accomodate your preferences about it, THAT is something I'd take issue with - because it would likely cause tension and problems during the birth itself.