View Single Post
December 7th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
To be completely honest this is one of my favourite things about going unassisted. If I want an induction I have to seek it out myself. Granted I've researched it a bit - everyone knows EPO, castor oil, sex, and there are some other less commons - but I refuse to keep induction herbs on hand so I would have to be really motivated to go so far as to actually induce. I'm renting a doppler for the last two months (need to do that actually!) so if I go over I'll keep an eye on movement and heartbeat and if those are going well I really see no reason to induce.

I agree with the other ladies that US docs are far to happy to hit the pit drip and the dangers from "overdue" babies are heavily overstated. The current leading cause of premature babies is premature induction which is a tragedy. We are going to have a generation of children who are under constant physical stress because a doctor decided they were done gestating. What's worse is that the doctor will live with none of the consequences, I mean how often do you hear about a doctor being sued because of a premature birth? You don't, and it's because the American people are far to willing to bow down to the latex gloved gods they call OB/BYNs. As long as the baby lives and the mother's epi worked all will undoubtedly have a happy ending.

So I have to say that personally I'm waiting patiently, this baby can cook as long as it needs without fear of me sticking a fork in it and saying - eh it's still a little doughy in the middle but I have to be able to comfortabley watch Oprah at three so I'll just pull it out early rather than risk it burning before I can get to a commercial break. I would hop on the emergency c-section train if I pulled out the doppler and baby's heartbeat was slowing down, heck I might even perform it myself if I thought the situation called for it. But I'm glad, for now, that I don't have to worry about a doc or a midwife who wants to push me into having a baby before its time. And for the record my mom was due to have me in mid-december. She was kind enough not to send my eviction notice until January 12th but then it came in the form of pitocin. This is why I'm not expecting my mid-January baby until at least mid-February.

Edited to say that upon reading this I realize I sound a bit militant... I may eat my words at any given time, so please don't think that I think less of women who induce - I haven't been there, I really don't know
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler