View Single Post
December 22nd, 2006, 07:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You can Many MWs dont even test for it for several reasons:
1) Testing positive or negative on any given day doesnt tell you anything about your status at the time you give birth. You can be + today, - tomorrow, and vice versa
2) Even if you WERE positive on the day of birth, it doesnt mean the baby will get it, the baby is only at risk to get GBS if you are actually colonized at delivery AND you have prolonged pushing stage, prolonged rupture of membranes, or vaginal checks whle your water is broken. B/c MWs rarely do vaginal checks (since they dont tell you anything about how close you are to delivering) esp after water breaks, thats rarely a concern. In the event of prolonged pushing, or prolonged rupture of membranes, SOME MWs transport, others who will stay with you & allow you to continue at home *(or in a BC), will just simply treat for GBS then regardless of your GBS Status (since being neg doesnt mean youre neg at birth).

I waived GBS testing with my second, and they didnt even do it when I had my first 7 yrs ago.

Also - antibiotics isnt proven to work in all cases and doesnt do anything to prevent transmission ... Many MWs will do a hybecleanse or somethign like that if you have risk factors for GBS (prologned rupture of membranes etc) which is supposed to kill the GBS & prevent infectionall together.

I hope that makes sense. In short though - just b/c you were GBS + with your first means nothing about your status this time.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>