View Single Post
December 27th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
eeek! Ok, i did some digging to see if i could ease your mind.

*Out of every 1000 births, three babies will become ill with GBS
*For every 100 women with GBS at delivery, 1 infant will develop GBS infection
so even if you were positive at the EXACT moment of delivery, you have only a 1% chance of passing it to your baby

Risk factors

*When labor is premature;
*When there is premature rupture of the membranes;
*When there is prolonged rupture of membranes (>12 hours) before the baby is born;
*If the mother has a fever (>100.4 F) before or during labor;

if your baby became infected after a homebirth, you could see the signs and have it treated just as promptly as they could in a hospital

Signs of GBS infection in newborns]

Signs and symptoms occurring within hours of delivery
*Breathing problems, heart and blood pressure instability
*Gastrointestinal and kidney problems
*Sepsis, pneumonia and meningitis are the most common complications

*In addition, 4% of strains of GBS are now antibiotic-resistant. Again, nature's not stupid.

If you carry a resistant strain of GBS, the antibiotics will kill off all the innocuous, normal bacteria that would keep the antibiotic-resistant GBS in check, so that the only thing left is the resistant strain, which tends to be more virulent than the regular strain. This is a horrible situation for a newborn with an immature immune system.

Taken from ronnie falco's archives, plus the link which includes many other natural remedies

I would like to share with you a case I had last year. Mother's culture at 36 weeks yielded a result of 2+ colonization, which was the same at 38 weeks. I had her take 500mg Vitamin C every 4 waking hours, 1 EHB (NF Formulas) capsule every 4 waking hours, Propolis 4x daily, and she inserted a tampon soaked in 2% Tea Tree oil solution 2%Tea Tree essential oil, 98% Olive oil). She left the tampon in for 4 hours each day for 6 days. Culture at 39 weeks was negative for GBS. She had a long labor, a high leak for 72 hours, then a rapid active phase and 2nd stage, healthy baby, normal placenta, and normal recovery. here's the link

getting a fever or infection is more likely in a hospital, introducing infection through vaginal exams is WAY more like in a hospital, as is PROM. MW will generally NOT break your water.

here's an AWESOME link from Gentle Birth

Hope some of this helps.

P.S. the baby passing away at seventeen days old is refered to as 'late onset' gbs infection and EXTREMELY rare. Also, that means the hospital didn't catch it either? hmmm..