Topic: New here!
View Single Post
December 30th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok, I'm not an expert by any means, BUT.................

As far as post partum hemhorage, or PPH:

Normal bleeding just after childbirth is primarily from open blood vessels in the uterus, where the placenta was attached. As the placenta begins to separate, these vessels bleed into the uterus. Then after the placenta is delivered, the uterus usually continues to contract, closing off those blood vessels.

As long as your uterus contract normally and the placenta comes out whole the risk of PPH is really low. Nursing stimulates uterine contractions, and the uterus can also be massaged externally to get it to contract. In more extreme cases, one bite of the placenta can stop PPH in it's tracks, but I'm not sure why, LOL. The placenta should and will come out intact provided it's allowed to come out on its own, many hospital docs will pull on the cord a little to get the placenta out faster, this is SO dangerous, but hey, they've got tons of drugs they can pump into you if they screw you up

Baby getting stuck. I don't really believe there is such thing, not the way tv makes it out to be anyway Generally, a woman will not make a baby that is too big for her body with the exception of GD. Transverse is the only position that REQUIRES a c-section, no other way to get that baby out, but you would know what position the baby is in before the birth. Shoulder distocia, when the baby gets "stuck" can USUALLY be resolved by changing positions and making the pelvis as wide as posible. Most cases of baby getting "stuck" is caused by women being forced to labor on their backs. The baby basically has to go UPHILL through the birth canal and with the time limits docs force on birth, they time out.

There are some cases where baby can try to enter the birth canal with it's head flexed, and that can cause problems, but it can be easily identified by changes in the HB as detected by a doppler and any good midwife should be able to resolve it. my MW and I were just talking about this last visit, she had a case like that and the HB would shoot up with the contractions, baby was in pain, it's head was flexed back and couldn't get over the pelvic bone, so she had mom sit on the toilet, legs wide, making the canal and pelvic outlet as wide as possible, and the baby slipped past the pelvic muscles and was fine.]

I'm sorry I took so long to get back to you, hope this eases some of your fears. Hope I don't sound like a know it all turd