View Single Post
January 30th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I actually see a group of homebirth doctors. And they do not test for GBS. In one of my previous hospital births, I actually tested positive and despite antibiotics given during labor, my newborn had to stay in the NICU for a week because she showed signs of infection. Actually, she was fine and they were being overly cautious.

Anyway, because of that I was worried about being GBS positive at the homebirth, but the doctor said testing was not necessary and that they dont' do antibiotics at homebirths anyway. Instead he gave me a diet to follow for the last few weeks of the pg and said they would watch baby carefully for signs of infection. Of course, everything turned out fine. I wasn't tested for the next birth either and all was well.

I don't know what the case is for all homebirth midwives or doctors, but that is how mine do it. You would have to ask your midwife what her policy is regarding GBS. Either way, if you take precautions beforehand and she knows what to look for at the birth to make sure all is well with baby, then I'm sure everything would be fine.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog: