View Single Post
January 30th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ill preface this by saying there is quite a debate on GBS & treating it with antibiotics. Mainly, b/c antibiotics isnt proven to TREAT GBS or prevent passing it - rather its supposed to basically give the newborn antibiotics so that when theyre born it can help fight it if they acquire it during delivery. HOWEVER, they usually test somewhere in the last 3 weeks of pg, which means NOTHING. You can test positive & be negative at time of delivery, or even test negative and then be positive at time of delivery. Personally i dont see the point of testing except to find a wy to charge for it.

The big problem is that when a mother does test negative, a lot of providers, nurses, and the mom usually assume all is well. And so when baby does exhibit signs everyone acts like its a big surprise.

In a homebirth or birthign center, many MWs dont even test. They will assume the patient is GBS positive & will treat for risk factors. Risk factors being: Prolonged rupture of membranes, prolonged pushing stage, or signs of infection. And - they do not always treat with antibiotics. Most MWs Ive heard of use Hybecleanse (sp?). Supposedly, from what I understand, this actually rids the vaginal area of GBS, unlike IV antibiotic treatment. Its a rinse, I believe.

All babies are watched closely for signs of GBS transmission & treated accordingly. Unlike a hospital setting where they usually keep their closest eyes on the babies of GBS positive mothers.

I hope that makes sense lol. For some reason, I had a really hard time typing out my thoughts this morning lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>