Topic: New here...
View Single Post
January 31st, 2007, 08:04 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Well if you're trying to find a more "unique" name that you and DH still like, I recommend starting here: http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/.

Read "Name Fashion" under Articles, Advice, and Ideas to find out why names like that are popular now and what the next cycle of "trendy" names might be. Maybe you'll like one of the ones that are slated to be popular in 10-20 years (Doris, Elsie, Blanche, etc), and then your kid would be "ahead of the curve", so to speak. That might mean fewer problems since the other people with that name will be in a different age group!

Below "Name Fashion" read "Alternative replacements for some tired and/or trendy names". It's a chart listing, obviously, all the alternatives to names like Caitlin, Alexis, Addison, etc. Aside from your own names just look at all the "trendy" names listed, and check out the alternatives. See how they're alike and how they're different, and maybe you'll be able to find another you like.

For your names it lists:

BOYS:

Liam - Eliam, Elam, Leir, Eamonn, Kieran, Egan, Leland
None listed for Owen and Ian yet.

GIRLS:

Chloe - Cleo, Noa, Zara, Esmé, Daphne, Phoebe, Romy
Addison - Madigan, Adeline, Adelyn, Maitland, Murren, Maren, Marian, Marianne, Ellison, Morrigan, Mattea, Madden, Madeley, Matheson, Mattingly
None listed for London or Fiona yet.

Also click on "Other Name Lists" and check out "Sick of Regular Names?". They're meant to be very unique but some of them are very similar to the trendy names. See what you can find. If nothing else it will help you learn better what you like and what you don't.

Good luck![/b]

Ohhhh Mattingly!!!!! Being a huge Yankees fan, I love this name, but my DH isn't going for it.