View Single Post
February 14th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
I've heard it mentioned on JM a few times. The comfort of the mother actually has quite a bit to do with the safety/health of the baby, though, if you think about it. I think the mothers comfort goes hand in hand with the baby's safety. This did play a part in my decision to choose a homebirth. I know that if I was in the hospital giving birth I would be so scared of what they might try to do to me (as far as interventions go) that I would not be able to have a successful labor. If I was tense and freaking out the entire time I would not be able to go into "laborland" or relax enough to even dilate properly. This would hinder my progression, I'm sure, which could lead to many more risky interventions. At home I can be totally relaxed and that will allow my body to progress naturally, giving my baby a better chance at being born without stress.

That is only a part of my decision. If it was unsafe there is no way I would do it. For me, I feel that homebirth is a safer decision than a hospital birth for many reasons. I do understand, though, how a homebirth could be risky if you live too far away from a hospital or your home didn't have emergency access for whatever reason but that's a different story.

I think it goes both ways, too... a mother who chooses to have a hospital birth usually makes that choice based on her comfort as well.

</MARQUEE>