View Single Post
February 22nd, 2007, 07:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
This lesson is done with PSE 5, but from what I understand it can also be done with PSP. I don't have PSP, so I can't test it out...but if someone who does could try it and let everyone know, that would be great!

Ok...I'm going to show you how to create a pattern that you can then use to create your own background paper. I've really been trying to find out how to do this and just learned this little trick. This is a very basic example, but the possibilites are endless.

First, open a new blank file swatch that's 2x2 inches and whatever dpi you're used to working with....either 200 or 300.

Create a new layer and fill it with whatever color you want to use as the background for your paper.

Go to View----->Grid and View---->Snap to--->Grid to show grid lines on the page

Create a new layer

Active your brush tool and choose a brush set you like. (Here is a lesson on downloading new brushes - Downloading Brushes)

Use the Grid as a guide and create a pattern on your swatch. The grid can help you keep the pattern straight if necessary.

Once your happy with the pattern you've created, go to Edit---> Define Pattern

Rename your pattern and click ok

Now create a new blank file that's 12x12 inches and whatever dpi you used on your swatch. You may need to turn off the grid lines.

Active the Paint Bucket Tool

Change the fill option from Foreground to Pattern

Go to the Pattern drop down menu and your saved pattern should be listed. Choose it and click OK

Now click on your blank page to fill it with your pattern

You can go even further with the page and use the Burn and Dodge tools to create an aged look. Like I said the possibilites are endless. The only thing I've found is that depending on the type of brushes you use to create a pattern, you'll be able to see the lines between the swatches...for example, here's a pattern I made with a cloud type brush. See how you can see the lines inbetween the squares? I think this method may work best with shapes.

Have fun!! And feel free to post the pages you create here if you'd like! Also, post any questions you may have.

Forever missing our Angels: 7/05 & 5/08