View Single Post
February 25th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Veteran
I was young and ignorant when I got my first dog. A tiny Chihuahua weighing about 5 pounds full grown. I always got him vaccinated and fed him a strict kibble diet--both according to my vet's recommendation (kibble diet is a whole 'nother story, but I suggest you read up on the ingredients in kibble if you're feeding it to your pets).

Anyway. I was getting Yoda vaccinated and boosted according to the vet's schedule. When he was 8 years old, he went in for boosters, and that evening, had a terrible reaction. He started convulsing and was very lethargic. We had to take him to a Vet emergency room for a shot to stop the "reaction" (it was either a cortisone or steroid shot, I don't remember).

I know someone else who had a black lab, and had a very similar experience--and that dog died after getting boosters. It's a long story, but I truly believe that between all the vaccinations/boosters and a kibble diet, neither of these poor dogs had a fighting chance.

Yoda died last year. I sure miss him. He's the dog I'm holding in the picture by my screenname in my profile.