Topic: Hey
View Single Post
March 16th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't actually done it yet but I'm planning to birth this child, my first, at home.

Some reasons:

I can't have an epi anyway because I'm deathly allergic to narcotics pain meds and I don't think I'd want any drug, allergic to it or not, injected into my spine. So if I'm going to do it drug free anyway, I might as well be comfortable at home, in warm water, than flat on my back in a strange dry bed.

As far as the baby is concerned...

In studying Psychology, we've learned that a person's own birth is the most physically and emotionally stressful day of the entire life, including any way the person could die. A home waterbirth just seems like it'd be less stressful on her.

Instead of being yanked out by the head and pulled into a freezing cold hospital room, handed to a nurse who rushes over to some cold weighing tables and then pokes her with all kinds of tests and shots... She'd be born into her dad's hands, in warm water, lifted out slowly, held by me, and no cold weighing, pokes, or shots.

Speaking of shots, they're going crazy with those. Another big reason I want to homebirth is I don't want my baby injected anyway with shots that I'm against her having. I've heard of nurses doing it anyway after the parents said no. They even want to give Hepatitis B shots in the first 24 hours! No way...

And for selfish reasons, the warm water eases labor, eliminates needing to be cut (ouch!) and I'd be in control. I think we're built to do this, women have been doing it since the beginning of time, and all other animals do it alone. Yay for us!

Thank you so much, Jessica "dettmer26", for the beautiful siggie!

</div>