JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1760-52-weeks-cooking-challenge/)
-   -   Tell me your family's allergies! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1760-52-weeks-cooking-challenge/2469722-tell-me-your-familys-allergies.html)

esparando para bebé January 2nd, 2012 02:25 PM

Tell me your family's allergies!

I know substitutions can vary by recipe. Tell me here what allergies you have to work around. When you know that you'll be substituting out one week, let me know what you'll be doing. As long as it's a reasonable substitution, it'll be approved. :)

Happy Song January 3rd, 2012 02:12 AM

Re: Tell me your family's allergies!

Wayne is allergic to eggs. I will be working aroung his allergy. Anything like an egg sitting on the plate he will skip. Other dished with egg in them he'll try and see how he feels.

Wayne is allergic to fish, again I'll work around.

Tiki January 3rd, 2012 02:01 PM

In our family we are allergic to
- Eggs
- Fish
- Sesame
- All nuts
- Some Dairy (It really depends on what Dairy and how much and if the baby will be eating it)
- MSG
- Kiwi
- Wheat if the baby will be eating it

It is not an allergy persey but we don't eat white or instant rice or most proccessed food :) So if there are any challenges requiring those we will need a substituion.

esparando para bebé January 3rd, 2012 02:09 PM

Tiki, what do you usually do for recipes that call for eggs? Do you just not make them or do you have something you sub for egg?

Tiki January 3rd, 2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augie (Post 25414052)
Tiki, what do you usually do for recipes that call for eggs? Do you just not make them or do you have something you sub for egg?

It depends on how the egg is used in the recipe, some recipes it is to make it all stick together or for leavening or liquid, others it is the bulk of the dish.
Sometimes I will use egg replacer (In some baked goods), applesauce, egg free mayo, tofu, flax eggs, just extra liquid. For this weeks challenge I think I will use tofu and egg replacer.

w292737 January 3rd, 2012 03:56 PM

dairy but its getting better what she can handle me eating

and not an actual allergy, but we do not eat sea food in any way shape or form, due to personal preferences.

babyloves2dance January 7th, 2012 03:34 PM

As far as we know, there are no allergies for us to work around.

rancherandcitygal January 8th, 2012 01:03 AM

If I ever get started on this thing.
I have an onion intolerance
DD1 has a shellfish allergy

C&K'sMama January 8th, 2012 07:56 AM

It's not an allergy, but Carrie has sensory problems. There are some textures that she is unable to eat but they can usually be worked around without substitutions. Tofu, beans, and I know there are more, but I will have to let you know as it comes up.

hkystar January 8th, 2012 05:46 PM

No allergies but I dont eat beef at all. I havent for over 15 years.

way2gomom January 17th, 2012 05:50 AM

Our family's allergies include peanuts, dairy, soy and artificial cinnamon. For workarounds, we use Almond Milk (or coconut milk), no peanuts whatsoever in the house, and only real cinnamon (no red-hot candies for example).

NewportMamaBear January 17th, 2012 12:16 PM

No allergies here.

yemanya February 19th, 2012 04:42 PM

I have some annoying allergies: Raspberries, eggs (that said, its only a minor reaction, so if its mixed into a cake or something a little rash wont bother me, as much as my doctor hates it when I say it) and im intolerant to red meat, poultry and lactose (not allergy, so I can eat cheese)

Im usually pretty good with substituting. HOWEVER, because my allergies and intolerances are a bit broad, I often cook a different meal for DH, who can eat everything. So would it be okay if we ever have a meat/chicken based challenge to cook something just for him?

esparando para bebé February 19th, 2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yemanya (Post 25644692)
I have some annoying allergies: Raspberries, eggs (that said, its only a minor reaction, so if its mixed into a cake or something a little rash wont bother me, as much as my doctor hates it when I say it) and im intolerant to red meat, poultry and lactose (not allergy, so I can eat cheese)

Im usually pretty good with substituting. HOWEVER, because my allergies and intolerances are a bit broad, I often cook a different meal for DH, who can eat everything. So would it be okay if we ever have a meat/chicken based challenge to cook something just for him?

Absolutely! :)

Tiki March 12th, 2012 10:14 AM

For Cheese week I will be substituting it with any of the following depending on the dish:
Nutritional Yeast
Tofu
Daiya "Cheese" (It can only be used in some things since it is really expensive and dosen't behave the same as dairy cheese)