View Single Post
May 15th, 2007, 08:24 AM
• Today is True Confessions Day.
• Today is Flip Your Mattress Day.
• Today is International Day of Families, sponsored by the UN.
• Today is National Chocolate Chip Day.
• Today is Peace Officer Memorial Day, a part of National Police Week. Flags on all government buildings will be flown at half-staff today.
• Today is Never Turn Your Back on the Ocean Day.
• Today is Relive Your Past By Listening to the First Music You Ever Bought No Matter What It Was No Excuses Day
• Today is Independence Day in Paraguay.
• The Eastern Pacific Hurricane Season begins today and continues through November 30th.
On this date in . . .
1888: The swinging washing machine was patented. The machine was attached to a large swing, which children could swing in and power the machine
1940: Nylon stockings appeared on sale for the first time in the U.S. Competing brands went on sale simultaneously under an agreement between manufacturers.
1957: Elvis Presley inhaled a cap from one of his teeth. He was hospitalized in Los Angeles, where surgeons removed the cap from his lung.
1974: Mr. & Mrs. Frank Zappa announced the birth of their third child, Ahmet Rodan. He was named after a Japanese movie monster who lived on a diet of 707 jets.
1997: U.S. health officials approved the first nicotine-free anti-smoking drug, Zyban, which worked on chemicals in the brain that control addiction.
Fun Fact: When astronauts first shaved in space, their weightless whiskers floated up to the ceiling. A special razor was developed to draw the whiskers in like a vacuum cleaner.
*info borrowed from: