View Single Post
May 19th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Heather the Mama Duk
So we've used 4 weeks worth of the Sonlight Language Art and we absolutely love both K and 2. We do the 5 day version (the 5th day is optional fun activities).

K introduces a letter a week (10 weeks it reviews the letters instead of introducing another letter). The first little book will be read in week 10 and then about one a week (the Fun Tales books are similar to Bob Books). It is very slow which is exactly perfect for Cameron. It would have bored Ani to death. When she was ready to read she wanted to read right away. Cameron needs to slow, steady exposure to the letter sounds. Three days of the week there is copywork. At this point it's things like name and address. The copywork pages have one side printed with the typical three lines (2 solid, 1 dotted) and the other side with the HWT style lines so you can use the side that matches the handwriting program you are using. You add in handwriting yourself based on the method you choose. Four days a week Get Ready, Get Set, and Go for the Code are scheduled (but optional - we are using them). That's usually 2-3 pages at a time. Two or three days a week there is another activity related to telling a story/pre-writing/reinforcement of letter sounds. One day Cameron "wrote" letters in sand. He made letters with play-dough. He looked at a picture and told a story about it. I read him two very short sentences and we orally worked through making it into a whole story. I read him a book he had never read before and he told me the story back page by page using the pictures as clues. Things like that. The 5th day optional activities reinforce the letter sounds with silly things to do like "fan a foot" or "board a bus."

2 uses the Sonlight natural way of learning grammar and has a real focus on writing. It's gentle and nice. We don't do it exactly as planned out but that's okay. Sonlight "gives permission" just like Math-U-See does to change it a little to make it work for you. Each week has a list of spelling words and a "rule" to go with them. The first day I read Ani the rule and we talk about it (for example, one rule was about splitting words syllabically between the vc/cv point). Then I give her a pre-test where I tell her the words and she writes them on her paper. Then there is an activity about those words (for example, with the vc/cv rule she had to split the words syllabically). The third day Ani reviews the words. The fourth day she has a post-test. We do it orally. The fifth day if she missed any words she writes them in a sentence. Handwriting is done based on the program you choose. Explode the Code 4, 5, and 6 are scheduled four days a week and Wordly Wise A is scheduled one day a week (optional - we use them). EtC is 2-4 pages a day, Wordly Wise is 1-2 pages a day. There is reading each day. The reading has comprehension questions and sometimes mapwork. The writing portion of language arts we change slightly. The first day there is copywork. It is from the reading for that week and shows some sort of grammar issue (for example, pronouns or quotations or compound sentences). The second day the copywork passage is used and changed somehow (for example, removing the pronouns or adding more). I have Ani do that orally instead of written. The rest of the week focuses on writing things. For example, in week 4 Ani learned how to construct a four sentence paragraph with a main idea and three supporting sentences based on something of her choosing we had done in science. It also touches on fiction writing and the different genres of that (science fiction, etc.).

I think that covers it. We're really liking the new language arts. It sounds like a vast improvement over the old.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside