View Single Post
May 25th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My concern with reading levels is this: I've noticed that just because my son can READ it doesn't mean he can infer the meaning from the text around it. So he might be able to read "mystic" or something, but he's still not likely to know what the heck it means! And some of the words on this list are the same way: try explaining "breathtaking" or "sorcerers" or "foretold" to a FOUR year old. Yeah, eventually they'll understand it, but only with some good explanation.

Reading and understanding are so different to me, and understanding is MUCH more important, IMO, even if that means the child is reading books that are "below" his level. Even with read alouds, I stumble on things and think "I need to stop and explain that or the rest of this page isn't going to make any sense to him!" I can imagine how he feels when he's reading on his own.[/b]
Belle likes fantasy type books, so she is familiar with most of the words. And I read to her books that are much higher than her reading level, so she has a great vocabulary. If she doesn' t know what a word means or can't tell by the context then she asks me what it means. The other day she was so sure a certain word meant something that it didn't actually mean...I don't think she thought I knew what I was talking about when I told her what it meant. lol.

It is very true that what kids can read and what they can comprehend may not be on the same level. For Belle she can comprehend higher than she can read...she is reading at 2-3 grade level, but she comprehends much higher. But my nephew has aspergers and can read college level...since he was about 5. And he would read things he had no idea what they meant. lol. He can read anything. He comprehends at grade level at least, but not nearly as high a level as he can read.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (13.75), Ryllan (11.5), Finn (7.5), and Zane (4).