View Single Post
May 25th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
Quote:
Belle likes fantasy type books, so she is familiar with most of the words. And I read to her books that are much higher than her reading level, so she has a great vocabulary. If she doesn' t know what a word means or can't tell by the context then she asks me what it means. The other day she was so sure a certain word meant something that it didn't actually mean...I don't think she thought I knew what I was talking about when I told her what it meant. lol.[/b]

Asking what it means...WHAT A CONCEPT. Samuel is so reserved and just NOT outspoken at all (one of the reasons I'm more comfortable with him at home right now, but that's a whole other post). He would NEVER ask me what a word means. I'll stop and say "do you know what that means" and he's clueless to it, but it would never dawn on him to ask me. I've considered making vocabulary lists from our books, which seems so "schooly" but I'm revisiting the idea again because I just don't know what he understands from what he reads (because he doesn't talk enough to tell me!).

And yeah, BOTH of mine think they're smarter than mama. It got better, though, when they got to where they really ARE "smarter" than mama about some things: I just don't have the interest to learn about the Transformers and their heirarchy, but they LOVE to tell me what they know about them, and they enjoy that they know something I don't know, so it works out both ways.