Topic: Our First Day
View Single Post
June 1st, 2007, 08:03 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
I had some guidance from a friend as to how to do WP without the big package. We have a great library system, so I didn't buy any of the read alouds. I bought the instructor's guide, the coloring books (b/c my kids love coloring, but I should have just bought one of each and made copies), the journals (x2) and one of the core books. The total order was $137. Then I bought about $80 from amazon (most of the books I needed were available used). I skipped the prayer and involvement journal b/c of the writing (my son hates writing and the youngest isn't capable of writing yet!) and I replaced it with Window on the World, which we can do orally and I can keep a prayer journal for all of us.

One thing I'd change: I'd get the WP Exclusive "Children of Many Lands" because it's tailored to the 30 countries included in the study. I didn't want to spend the money for it.

For me, WP is pretty much the only viable option because after this year of children around the world, we're moving into the American Story series. I don't like the "begin with the beginning" approach to history that many (most?) programs take.