View Single Post
June 16th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Regular
I've been on bed rest for 4 weeks, maybe more, for a retroplacental clot and partial placental abruption. I thought that was enough to worry about with a 50/50 chance of survival. I am now 18 weeks and got my quad screen back earlier this week. Life has been a blur ever since. All along in my pregnancy, I was told the test would come back with a false positive for Down's syndome. When the results came back they shocked everyone, even my dr. It said that my risk for Downs' was 1:3600, which is great, but the risk of the baby having Trisomy 18 was 1:10. I am 26 years old!!! How can this be?? We went for an amnio on friday and it just got worse. There was an alarming lack of fluid which no one could figure out why until they drew it and it came out mud colored and thick with my blood. The baby also seems to have a large cyst in its brain (consistent with T18) and also a white spot in its heart (also consistent with Trisomies). I have another level II scheduled for Monday to confirm more physical anomolies, but i am not sure how much more I can handle. This is my fourth pregnancy, and I have no children. This baby is a dream come true for us and now it is taken away. The children can not live. Just the discolored anmiotic fluid spells early fetal demise, let alone the placental abruption and then the lethal diagnosis of T18. I am overwhelmed. I had a PET/CT scan a few weeks before we conceived and am afraid that radiation may have caused the problem with meiosis. Now its hard to not blame myself. Why didn't we wait? I dont know what to think or do.