View Single Post
June 17th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Our midwife is over 3 hours away, but she's also semi-retired and only does one birth a month now. That means she has come up and stayed with us near the end, just to avoid the mad dash to try and get here in time (which also includes crossing the US/Canada border, which can take time if the guards are in a bad mood). There are a few reasons we are comfortable with that arrangement:

1. It's our only option if we want to homebirth with a midwife. We'd have to drive 3 hours ourselves to reach a birth center in Calgary.
2. We live two blocks from the hospital.

Just for what it's worth, for some reason those 4th babies don't always come faster. My third shot out in 2 hours, so naturally I was a little nervous about the midwife getting here in time with our 4th. He took his sweet time. 11 hours. My midwife said that's very, very common. Definitely, prepare for the worst, but keep in mind that your pattern of acceleration may not continue this time, LOL! Each of my labours was half of what the previous one was, until #4. 12 hours, 6 hours, 2.5 hours, then 11 hours.