View Single Post
June 19th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
First I want to say I love your pages!!!!!!!!!!!!

second, my question is: What advice would you give someone that is just starting to scrapbook (ie: what to get/what not to get, organization, paper, etc)?[/b]

Thanks for the compliment!

That's a great question.

My best advice is don't try to scrapbook with a timeline. As if doing your pictures in order. Do what pictures are your favorites, capture memories that 20 years from now you Really Really want to remember. If I tried to do mine in order I would be stuck back in the first year of my 1st born, and he is 4 now.

Don't go to the scrapbook store without a game plan in mind. If you have something in mind as to what you want, it is easier to stick to just that. There are so many products out there that you may only use once. So walk away from the flowers that are so cute that "maybe" you could incorporate into your page. Stick to the basics. If you find that when you look at a scrapbooking magazine that you are always drawn towards the distressed look to make a page look older, then maybe just buy one black cat's eye ink pad. They're really small, and if you find that you use it more and more, then invest in other colors. And if you see something that you really want but might not need, hold off until it is on sale or you have a really good coupon.

To organize scraps I just use an accodian file system. And it works perfect. I really do use them more often. I have them organized by solid colors, then stripes and polka dots are in one slot and all other patterns in another...I organize my 12x12 paper the same way but in plastic drawers that I just purchased. For a long time I just used an old box that I found and organized them by color and pattern in that vertically.

And one thing I use a ton is an exacto knife. I reach for it all the time. Since I don't have a circit, if I want a title cut out of a paper I would just use Word, type up the title in whatever font I wanted, mirror the image then print it off. Then you cut it out with the exacto knife, then flip it over and glue it onto your page.

So far I have managed to get along fine without a cricut, or a Xyron machine, or a corner punch. In fact I would not recommend buying any punches and just using your exacto knife. I also don't have many of those vellum quote packs. I figure I'll just surf the net and find a quote and print it on my own vellum. I stay away from stickers unless I have a page I need a sticker for.

And last is have fun! If you are not having fun and you are stuck on a page, then walk away or start a new one.

The blinky is clickable!!