Topic: New Here!!!
View Single Post
June 21st, 2007, 11:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks! I love this board! I've been lurking for a little bit, and finally decided to join. Got the siggy figured out, guess I need to update the TTC #2 right?? lol....
I LOVED my mom being a midwife! When I was little, it was just what I was used to and I didn't know any different, but then as I got older, I realized it was a bit out of the mainstream. I thought it was SO NEAT that my mom got to go be present at the births of babies, plus, then I got to see them at the six week checkups, and sometimes, go with her to the births!
She's actually retired now because she said she was getting too old to be running around in a snowstorm at 2 in the morning! I threatened to make her come out of retirement when I got pregnant with Trinity, but she said she didn't want to deliver her, just to be there with me as a support. She said she was too personally involved to be able to be impartial enough to make the hard decision if it needed to be made. So that's the way we did it. She was there when Trinity was born and will be there when this one arrives too. The only bad thing was that we never knew when the next phone call was going to come....birthdays, christmas, etc. But, all things considered, she (and you, and all midwives) are providing SUCH an amazing service to people like me who don't want to go to hospitals (hello, they are for SICK people, and last time I checked, pregnancy isn't a sickness). What better gift could you give your children than the knowledge that life is so precious that you are willing to drop everything and go help a new one come into the world?? I can't think of one. I consider myself a million times blessed to be raised by one of the few!
Thanks for the welcome and I'm so thrilled to be here!!
Emma

"We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents, or the country of our birth. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time and conditions of our death. But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live." Joseph Epstein