View Single Post
June 21st, 2007, 11:36 AM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
There are two different types of birth centers: the kind that fall into the "mini-hospital" category and the kind that fall into the "maxi-house" category. The same is true for people who attend homebirths--I've seen birth pictures where the attendant was dressed in blue sterile everything and baby was born at home.

So, its important to ask your attendant what their practice is like. Ask for references (clients you can call and talk to about their experiences). Ask what will happen if you refuse GBS testing (I'm required to offer it to all of my clients, but I cannot force them to test, and many do not), of if there are any natural ways to encourage a negative test. You'll generally be able to gague their take on issues like GBS based on their answers to questions about it. You want to try to find someone who matches your philosophy as best as possible.

If your OB suggested a homebirth (kiss him for me, would you?), ask him if he knows anyone who would be a good fit for you. Another resource that you might find helpful for finding LOCAL birth attendants is the finding your tribe area of Mothering.com. I know there will be women there who have had experience with midwives in your area and can answer more specific questions. Its important to interview a few different attendants so that you can get a feel for their different personalities and attidudes toward birth and choose the one that most fits what you're looking for.

GOOD LUCK and keep us updated please!!