View Single Post
June 29th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
Thanks for the advice ladies. I talked to a friend of mine who is a cop/fire fighter last night.....asking him how fast they could have me to a hospital in an emergency situation, and after what he told me, I feel much better about the possibility of a home birth. I guess the general practice in this area is this. To avoid lengthy periods at the hospital before the baby is born, a woman would do early labor at home, and then go to the local hospital who then flies the mother to the L&D unit. Of course you have to keep the local hospital informed so they can get the helicopter on standby, but that's what they normally do. My friend pointed out to me that for a home birth, my midwife could notify the hospital with the L&D unit, just the same as the local hospital would, and have the helicopter put on standby, arranging in advance where they would land to get me in an emergency. In my case, it's the parking lot that is literally right across the street from me.

From the time we call and say we have a problem to the time the would have me in L&D could be as little as 18 minutes! I think I can handle that. lol I'm going to research midwives more today. The woman that most people in this area had deliver their babies at the hospital retired 7 or 8 months ago, so I'll have to find another one. I want to go ahead and get that done now, because most likely the midwife will have at least an hour or hour and a half drive to get to me. I want to make sure she's willing to do it with it being that far. Her website says she will service the entire state, and some areas are much further away than I am, so hopefully she will.

Now if I can just get DH on board. This is my third, but his first, and he is a nervous wreck about me giving birth period. He'll likely have a nervous breakdown when I tell him I want to do it at home! LMAO

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!