Topic: Gavin Lee
View Single Post
July 3rd, 2007, 09:30 PM
Gavin's Emergency C-Section

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are finally home,as of yesterday. Thought I would share the story of my sweet little Gavin Lee's birthday. On June 14, my day started out lousy,as I discovered my PC had crashed,the hard drive died. I was NOT a happy camper,as I was on bedrest since April due to placenta previa,and the internet was my only real link to the outside world. That afternoon, I went to the bathroom and discovered I was bleeding, which I had been hospitalized for twice before. Also had 2 more bleeds after the hospitalizations,which ended as quickly as they began.
THIS one didn't stop. I called my mom & hubby at work, telling him to come home. I was still on the toilet,thinking it would stop as it had so many times before, angry that I was likely going back to the hospital for a lengthy stay, when I got very dizzy. THIS didn't happen before. I had the presence of mind to dial 911, and somehow told the guy where I lived, and made it to the loveseat to lay down. DH arrived before the ambulance, and they arrived, got me on the stretcher,and to the local hospital (where I did NOT want to deliver) . They couldn't find the baby's heartbeat, and when they finally did,it was 190. I was given anesthesia & an emergency C/S. WHen I awoke, I was being given a blood transfusion, got 4 units, and told my baby was fine, & on oxygen. Only a day later the DR told me we both nearly didn't make it.
Finally was reunited w/ him about 10:30 PM (was born at 3:37PM) . He weighted 6'11,and was 5 weeks early. The pain from the C/S was EXCRUCIATING, just horrible. We went home 3 days later,on Sunday the 17th. I was rying real hard to breastfeed,and he seemed to be doing fine, but at his appt back at the hospital on Tuesday,he was found to have very high biliruben levels,and was down to 5'8. They ordered phototherapy w/ a Wallaby macine at home. Next day he was up to 5'11,and the levels were down to 12 from the 21 day before. Went home,he refused to eat,was very limp & lifeless. That night,we rushed him to another hospital's ER, where he stopped breathing. They stabalized him ,and rushed him to Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City. He was put on a respirator & fedding tube for several days, and DH & I stayed at a Ronald McDOnald House. The MRI showed damage from the loss of oxygen at birth,we won't know the full extent of the damage for years,likely. He seems to be doing fine,is eating well & SUCH a sweet baby. I can't tell any difference from my other 3 babies. I sincerely wish that I had taken the risks of placenta previa more seriously... I never thought that would happen to me (us). Many,many people prayed for the little guy. He truly is a miracle.