View Single Post
July 6th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MegC
Ok, different areas of the country have different traditions and ways of doing things. I have become especially more cognizant of this as my husband is from the mid-West and every time I attend a major family function (ie. wedding, baby shower, wedding shower, etc.) with him and his family, I feel very out of place and weird because there are usually some very interesting differences between their parties and what I'm used to.

So, I thought it might be interesting if we kind of explained the somewhat "traditional" parts of baby showers that you have experienced in your region of the country (realizing, of course, that experiences even within the same region can differ).

For example, I am from east Tennessee (which technically places me in the upper south region). Every shower I have ever attended here in Tennessee has been held at someone's house (either the hostess's house or the mother's house or something like that). I do know that usually company showers are held at work (obviously). I have never received a hostess gift at a shower, though we do have games and the winners of the games do get small prizes. Usually food is kind of buffet style and can be as fancy or as plain as you want. Children are not typically invited (at least, not in my circle) as it is seen as ill-bred.

So, I guess that what you could expect out of a typical baby shower here in East TN.

What's it like where you live?

</div>