View Single Post
July 9th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No risk of iatrogenic injury/interference
No risk of hospital acquired infection
Peace and quiet
The option of waterbirth
I'm deathly afraid of hospitals, so birthing in one would have triggered my fight or flight response depriving my baby and my uterus of oxygen.
No chemicals to interfere with the natural hormonal blueprint of labor
No wondering when to drive to the hospital
No warding off interventions from scalpel happy surgeons
No noises when I didn't want them
Dimmed lights instead of bright blinding bulbs
Being able to eat what I wanted when I wanted.
Not worrying about what was happening to my daughter when she left my site, knowing that there wasn't any formula in the house and no one would try to supplement something she didn't need.
Basically everything that Shawna said. I had a beautiful labor where I ate wonderful food watched my favorite movies bathed in warm water in a candle lit bathroom, had a tubside sing-a-long my husband got to rest in our bed and I didn't have to worry that I'd left something crucial at our house. My daughter was born into the hands of my mother who will remember that morning for the rest of her life, not into the gloved hands of a cold sterile stranger who wouldn't recognize her three months later. It was like a dream and it was exactly what I had hoped and planned for.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler