View Single Post
July 11th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
  • Hospitals are for sick people and pregnancy/childbirth are not sicknesses
  • My mom was a midwife, so I couldn't imagine doing it any other way
  • Babies born at home have less complications after birth and are at lower risk of infection
  • I didn't want to have to ward off the doc with the scissors for the episiotomy, or the surgeon for the c-section
  • It's proven that women labor better and more effectively at home
  • I wanted the choice to labor in whatever position I wanted, not flat on my back with baby monitors strapped to me
  • I wanted to be able to eat/drink what/when I wanted, not be on a strict diet of ice chips
  • I wanted to be delivered by someone who I knew and who knew me, not a nurses who change shifts every 12 hours, and a doc who comes in for the last five minutes to catch the baby, then disappears
  • NO pressure to "supplement" with formula, or "soothe" baby with pacifiers
  • The right to labor in the privacy and comfort of my very own home with dim, soothing lights, not blinding, glaring lights for me and the poor baby's eyes when she came out. What a horrible shock to come into!! Nice warm, dark, place, then whammo! bright and cold with strangers poking and prodding
  • Don't have to worry about what to pack, trekking to the hospital while you're in pain, then packing it all back up again in 2 days and trekking home all over again
I'm sure there are tons of others I've forgotten, but those are the main points I think. It was SUCH an amazing experience, I absolutely couldn't imagine anyone wanting to do it any other way! The thought of having a baby any place other than home is so incredibly foreign to me, my mind can't even comprehend it.

"We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents, or the country of our birth. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time and conditions of our death. But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live." Joseph Epstein