View Single Post
July 12th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
My main reason is comfort. I want to be comfortable during labor and delivery, and I can't be comfortable in a hospital with people coming in and out constantly.
Also because hospitals are for sick or injured people. I don't feel like being pregnant or giving birth falls into either category.
I also want to be in control of the birth process, and in my experiences.....I wasn't in control in the hospital. The doctor would say....Yeah, I know what you want, but this is what is needed, and then did what HE wanted anyway. I was laboring in a tub with my son and was comfortable. There was no one else needing that tub. There was an empty one beside me. The doctor said he HAD to check to see how far I was dilated. While he was examining me, he decided to break my water (without asking me first) and then said that getting back in the water would harm the baby. It was another 13 hours before my son was born. They (the doctor, my mother and my ex) decided that I needed an epidural, mainly because I'd had one with my first pregnancy. I was to tired, and in too much pain to argue at that point. I don't want that to happen to me again.

Another reason is travel. The closest hospital with a L&D unit is in the state capitol. Traffic is very congested in that area. I don't want my newborn to have to travel in a car for a 45 minute to 1 hour trip to get home. I would be stressed out worrying about the baby and the chances of having a car accident. The baby would feel me stressing, which would stress the baby out. Neither of us will need that at that point.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!