View Single Post
July 21st, 2007, 09:51 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
Lots and Lots of birth stories! Books that have birth stories are: The Baby Catcher, Diary of a Midwife, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and probably more. I really love birth stories because they tell it how it really happens, not how it SHOULD happen, ya know?

I second Birthing From Within, though I always warn my clients that it can sound kind of fruity and out there (I'm in a really conservative part of the country). I particularly like her chapter on what dad can do, as well as her methods of coping with pain.

I also ask my clients to really focus on relaxing even when it's not convenient. I find that a lot of women don't really know what being totally relaxed feels like, much less HOW to be totally relaxed in the midst of intense pain and emotions. Knowing that can really help a lot and I think relaxation is KEY, but I don't suggest using any particular childbirth method to learn relaxation. I think its something that can be learned on your own and that its more empowering to do it on your own. If you find your having trouble with it, go get a massage or take a yoga class or two and you'll know what total relaxation feels like at the end of either of those events. Then work to replicate that feeling in weird settings (at the movie theater, when your toddler is screaming, when you feel sick to your stomach, or when you want to rip your Dh's head off).