View Single Post
August 2nd, 2007, 07:14 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
Okay, first: there is no reason to be scared that someone will do something to your baby w/o your consent in the hospital AS LONG AS YOU TAKE PRECAUTIONS. Don't ever, EVER, let your baby out of your or your SO's line of sight, and watch everyone like a hawk. Make sure your birth plan (or better yet, but these wishes in a separate "newborn care plan") states everything that you desire to happen or not to happen to your baby. Make sure that you never sign a consent form for any of the things you don't want to do. I gave birth to my first son in a hospital that did Hep B, Vit K (injections) and eye ointment and, of course, circ. We didn't have any of those things done without our knowledge (although we did do vit K and eye ointment, with our consent, right in front of us). None of the other things were done and I'm 100% sure of that because he was never away from us for any amount of time. ANY.

Second: yes, it is much easier to accomplish all of the things that you desire for your birth and baby care with a homebirth and a midwife. There are still midwives who do things w/o permission (I personally know someone whose midwife put eye ointment in baby's eye while mom was in the bathroom!), but it's much less common. I know that OH is not a very midwife friendly state, but I'm sure that there are midwives who serve your area. A good resource is the "finding your tribe" forums at Mothering.com. There is a forum for your state and there will be women there who at least know of midwives and can point you in the right direction.

Third: most midwives are perfectly willing to accept insurance, but some insurance companies won't pay for midwifery services. It's up to you to find out if your insurance will pay for a midwife, and if it will, to ask for an "in network exemption" so that you can get as much of your care paid for as possible. That said, many times it is nearly the same price to pay for a midwife out of pocket as it is to pay for the deductible and co-pays with an OB and hospital.