Topic: Hi ladies
View Single Post
August 3rd, 2007, 01:01 PM
4boys
Hi everyone. I have lurked here somewhat but now I guess I am here for real. I am expecting our 4th baby next April and I am very curious about home birth. I guess I just want to do my research and ask questions and learn from all you ladies. I am not sure if my DH will support a home birth but I would still like to find out as much as I can.

Just for some background...my first three were all hospital births. My first was completely natural unmedicated because I only got to the hospital at 8 cm and besides pushing for far too long in the wrong position, went great. My last two were much bigger than the first and both required induction. I am really hoping to avoid induction again this time but with my third I wanted to avoid induction so badly that I went 16 days overdue, had to be induced anyways, and ended up with a difficult birth and a spinal because he was 10 lbs and had a giant head. So my goal is to go into labor on my own this time and if not have a home birth, then at least labor as long as possible at home, have the baby in the hospital and come home soon after.

I didn't really enjoy my hospital experience with my last birth. I find some of the nurses too pushy and far too concerned about their rules and policies.

So I guess my first question is....is it necessary to breastfeed if you have a home birth? I have never nursed my babies and I don't plan to with this one. I know that nursing soon after birth helps the womb shrink back to normal. Is it a problem if I don't?