Topic: Hi ladies
View Single Post
August 4th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
Quote:
I ask my clients to commit to breastfeeding for two weeks. The reason behind this is not that I'm a breastfeeding nazi, but that breastfeeding releases oxytocin that allows your uterus contract, and it takes 10-14 days for your uterus to get back to normal size. I don't give the routine pitocin injection that many providers in the hospital give, so breastfeeding is the only source of a hormone that's valuable to mom's healing. I have had clients who never breastfed before and they did the two weeks that I ask (understanding why I ask) and then switched.

Every midwife is different, though, so its important to ask when you interview them.[/b]
Charlotte, out of curiosity, what would you do in a situation where a mother physically cannot breastfeed? I nursed my first, for 6 weeks, but she was hospitalized and my milk dried up. I tried to pump, but was unsuccessful. I've been told that might have been due to the stress I was under at the time. Anyway....my milk dried up, but my breasts never went back to pre-pregnancy size. By 19 I was having severe back problems from the size of my breasts. At 20, I had a breast reduction. I tried to nurse my second, but as a side effect from my reduction....I am no longer able to do it. I would love to be able to, but they just don't work anymore. I still produced milk, it just couldn't get out.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!