View Single Post
August 8th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi There!
I actually live in OH as well, but in central OH, not close to PA. And, no, OH is NOT a very "midwife friendly" place, but they ARE out there! My mom was one for years, and I'm seeing one who lives about 20 minutes away from us. The general rule is that you travel to them for prenatal appointments and then they come to you for the birth, then usually a few times after the baby is born.

I use a lay midwife who isn't licensed but who is well-qualified and has been doing it for 10+ years. My mom found her for me, and she knows many of the other midwives in OH as well. I should be seeing her soon for an appt, and if you would like, I can ask her if she knows of any midwives in your area. If you would email me your location at elinn_98@yahoo.com, I would be happy to ask her if she knows of any in your area. She is Mennonite, and many of her midwife friends are too, so if that matters to you, you'll have to let me know. It didn't make a lick of difference to me, as long as she was qualified to deliver my child, that was all that mattered.

About insurance, some cover it and some don't. Ours does, but it is out of network and we have a deductible to factor in as well. They end up paying MUCH less to her than they would to a hospital.
Hope this helps!
Emma

"We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents, or the country of our birth. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time and conditions of our death. But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live." Joseph Epstein