View Single Post
August 18th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
In Canada, with the exception of Alberta, it is very simple to homeschool in any way that you have the time to do so. Basically, the parent must supervise the child's education, and the education (in most provinces, though not the territories it seems!) should be centred in the home. So, if you have someone caring for your child, they can supervise the completion of the school work for a given day that you request they complete with your child, and you can do whatever you feel would be better done by you as a parent than by the sitter. There is not a "private tutor" option in any of the legislations that I can find for Canadian homeschoolers, but most of the legislations simply state that the parents must be the supervisors of the educational program. If, however, you live in Alberta, they have a highly intrusive and regulated homeschool legislation, and I'm not sure if you would be permitted to homeschool without being with your child for at least the 5 or 6 school hours every day. But, my mum supervised the implementation of programs set out by various homeschool parents around our province, I stayed in a home that supervised the implementation of my parents' homeschool program for six weeks, and I have supervised the implementation of homeschool programs for parents that I have known, and we have had no issues in any of the provinces this occurred in (I believe we're now at a count of three provinces of doing this). Most provinces and territories do not have a required number of days to attend school either (with the exception of Alberta, none have any such requirements). You can check out your options at hslda.ca