View Single Post
August 29th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Heather the Mama Duk
Whats it like?
It varies by family. Some do school at home, others never seem to be at home. For us, we do school a couple hours a day and the rest of the time do whatever we want.

Do your kids still play sports with the school kids? My husband said they do. What about Prom and other events like that?
Sports and other extra-curiculars depends on where you live. In some places they can play school sports and in others they cannot. There is always parks and rec sports teams and some places have homeschooled kids teams. Not all kids will want to play sports (I sure didn't and hope my kids don't!) and most kids in public school don't play on school teams. As for prom and stuff, who really cares. Actually, I still went to a prom with a friend. You don't have to attend a school to go to their prom. By the time my senior year prom would have happened I was engaged to my husband (who had graduated from high school a couple years before). Some places have homeschool proms. But I look at it like I once heard LeAnn Rimes say on Oprah. She was homeschooled and Oprah asked her about missing her prom. She said it didn't matter because look at what she was getting to do instead of sitting in class all day. To trade off her prom was totally worth it. ETA: My kids take gymnastics classes (not an option in public schools) and in a couple weeks Ani will be switching to Irish dancing (also not an option in public schools) and Cameron will be switching to golf lessons in a couple months (only an option in high school).

Do other kids tease them because they are homeschooled?
Never. My niece (second grader this year) can't understand why Ani would want to be homeschooled. Ani can't understand why my niece likes going to the public school jail all day every day. My kids have friends at church who are homeschooled so it's not like they are the only ones. They have lots of friends who are public school both at church and at gymnastics. Most of their friends either don't care or are in awe of them not having to go to school.

Were you homeschooled, and did you enjoy it?
Yes and yes! It's a big reason why we homeschool our own kids.

Dod you feel like you missed out on anything?
Nope, nothing.

Did you go to a University afterwords?
I went to college. I started correspondence courses at 14, physically at the college at 15, full time at 16. I got a degree in nursing.

Did you feel like people ever looked down on you?
Nope.

Do you get sick of eachother. Hahahaha. I know, weird question, but since your together 24 hours a day do your kids ever not want to listen or learn because they need a change or someone else to listen to?
Not so far. I never got sick of my mom either. It's not like we are/were together 24 hours a day. I am with my baby (13 months) all the time, and honestly when I only had a baby I couldn't imagine not being with my kid all the time. But I am definitely not with my almost 6 and 7 1/2 year olds all the time. They go play with friends or go outside and play and ride their bikes or go to the basement to play for hours at a time. Sometimes I have to hunt them down to see them. When I was a teenager I went out with friends, hung out at the mall, etc. like all the other teenagers. I wasn't with my mom all the time at all. I don't think my kids don't want to listen any more than kids who go outside the home to school. In addition to that, and even more importantly, I think it would be a bit sad to get sick of being with my kids. That's one of the perks of homeschooling. We get to be together as much as we want. We believe family should be the most important thing in our lives. Now that I am grown up I am still very close to my mom and she is my best friend and I talk to her daily and when she was out of town last week I really missed our conversations. I credit our relationship at least partially to homeschooling.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside