View Single Post
August 29th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, I will see if I can answer your questions.

Whats it like?
Well, my oldest is 3 and we are mainly doing homeschool preschool right now, which means a lot of play, not a lot of structure yet. But we love it so far. I don't want to send her to preschool because I feel we are doing great on our own and I love teaching her. I myself was homeschooled and it helps me know what I do and don't like.

Do your kids still play sports with the school kids? My husband said they do. What about Prom and other events like that?
As far as sports go we live in a State that has dual enrollment which means my kids can play sports at the high school and still be homeschooled. There are also private sports they can utilize. Some states have a homeschool Prom with every homeschooler from the state. I just had friends in school that I went to dances with. I didn't go to Prom, but I went to homecoming and girls choice prom. What was nice is because of homeschool I knew kids from all over the state so I went to one high school's homecoming, another's girl's choice formal and even a few dances at the private school. It was nice because homeschool didn't limit me to one sphere and unlike the other kids I didn't go to dances with the same people I saw day in and day out. It was really nice that way.

Do other kids tease them because they are homeschooled?
I didn't really get teased. I had some siblings that did. But what is nice about homeschool is I think it becomes easier to see through the superficial teasing where you just don't care. It might bother a little bit, but more as an annoyance. I just had kids ask a lot of questions. I was secure enough in myself that no one really could tease me about it. Teasing is only fun for the teaser if it matters to the one being teased. And it didn't. I really didn't want to be at the school so I shrugged it off.

Were you homeschooled, and did you enjoy it?
I did enjoy it. There were a few draw backs, most of them not anything big. Education wise it was the best choice my parents could have made. I learned so many wonderful life lessons and became best friends with my siblings.

Dod you feel like you missed out on anything?
Umm,... not really. I guess the only thing would be that there weren't as many homeschooled guys where I lived. But it wasn't that bad. There were friends I had in the other parts of the state. I had a great time with them. I didn't miss out on the gossip and backbiting. I was given the choice to take classes at the high school and just didn't want to be there.

Did you go to a University afterwords?
I did go to college afterwards. I had no problems. I loved it! In fact where most of my friends- including my husband- were burned out by the time they got there and couldn't wait to be done, where I felt like I just wanted more. I still do and have been taking school on and off while having kids. I don't see it as a race and feel like I have all the time in the world to keep continuing with my education. That's one thing I loved learning, that education is life and that learning doesn't end with a diploma or degree. I spend my life learning, why not continue it with my kids?

Did you feel like people ever looked down on you?
Yes. I'll be honest, and they still do. But even though it can drive me crazy sometimes, it really is a lack of education in something they just don't understand. I get the worst guff from in-laws. I am confident though that they will eventually see the fruit of my labors when my kids will do just fine and thrive. My MIL has already been impressed that DD learned all of the alphabet sounds (thanks to Leap Frog letter factory DVDs).

Do you get sick of eachother. Hahahaha. I know, weird question, but since your together 24 hours a day do your kids ever not want to listen or learn because they need a change or someone else to listen to?
I know being homeschooled I did get sick of my family sometimes. But who doesn't even when they are in public school? I actually think it happens less because we actually have more of a relationship with one another and there is respect there. I see too many public schooled kids not respect their parents and then the parents can't stand them and can't wait to send them out the door. It does happen, but with everybody you need some time away sometimes. A mother needs some space and so do the kids. That's why it is good to have activities for the kids.

Anyway, it really is worth it. Everything has its ups and downs, but homeschool just has way too many ups. Great education, higher scores than public school, closer to family members, no drugs, bullys, no agendas I don't agree with, no getting up at the crack of dawn to hurry to school and hurry to pick them all up and I get to be with the kids I created and raise them just the way I was meant to. Its just too good.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!