View Single Post
September 5th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Hi all. This is my first post here so I'll introduce myself first. I'm a happily married stay at home mom to three great kiddos, ages 9,5, and 14 mo. We finally decided we were done having kids so my husband got a vasectomy 2 mo. ago. About three weeks ago he lost his job, which obviously sent my world crashing around me. I enrolled my previously homeschooled children in public school, started working as a substitute teacher and ended up drinking more than I'd like to admit after the kids went to bed. Then I discovered I was pregnant. My own fault since we knew he had to have a sperm count done after three months before we were okay to stop my birth control...but the stuff makes me so out of whack, I was thrilled to get off it.
I've researched alcohol and pregnancy on the internet and all I come up with is the major risks involved, and how in the second month of pregnancy (is that 4 wks and on??) babies are extremely susceptible to birth defects...it all makes me want to cry. I don't think I would mind one more baby but I know I wouldn't have the time or energy to deal with a child with severe problems.
Has anyone had a similar situation? Anyone have doctors give good advice about this? Know anyone who's child has fetal alcohol syndrome and know how much/how often they drank?
Anything you've got would be greatly appreciated- I'm really stressing about what decision to make.
TIA
MindyLee