View Single Post
September 5th, 2007, 06:52 PM
eribabe
Hi! I just found out that I'm pregnant last Sunday. It's still sinking in! I had the same questions about alcohol for my doctor because I am a preschool teacher and must admit I look very forward to getting out of work to happy hour because I desperately need it! In fact that were a couple weeks where I had a couple beers every night. That said, my doctor said it is most likely fine.

I have a degree in Child Development and did an hour long presentation on fetal alcohol syndrome. There are no conclusive studies determining when and how much alcohol causes it. Basically, it has to be a lot of alcohol throughout the pregnancy. I found lots of statistics like it's worse early in the pregnancy, and another study said it's worse in the second trimester when more organs are developing.

PLEASE ANYBODY CORRECT ME IF I"M WRONG!!!

I just think that as long as you eat healthy or a variety of foods at the beginning, don't over do caffeine, medicines, etc. you'll be fine. The rest is up the our genes. Alcohol can take oxygen out of the blood, like caffeine does, which may not be great for the newly developing embryo. But I'm wondering if that's irreversible? What does anyone else think?

I hope you talk to a couple of doctors and get opinions from other mothers before you do anything. I felt and still feel a little unsure as to how many beers I had and I was taking advil and eating crap. We can't be perfect all the time. I hope you'll put your mind at ease soon.

Erika