Topic: Back Labor
View Single Post
September 21st, 2005, 05:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Back Labor

Changing your position can help you to get your baby off of your spine.
  • *side lying with pillow between knees
    *Sitting up in the bed with your back rounded (I find that if I bring the back of the hospital beds all the way up and put the leg part down that this puts mom on this position without much strain)
    *Sit on the side of the bed and lean over on the tray table on onto a support person
    *All fours (hands knee position) You can do this in bed or on the ground. (If you lift the back of the hospital bed and lean over it you can rest your arms instead of leaning on them. If you have a birth ball you can lean over it in bed, stand besides the bed and lean on the ball...many different positions)
Movement to encourage your baby's head to rotate to the more favorable anterior position
  • *On all fours you can perform the pelvic tilt (arch your back like a kitty cat with your tail tucked under and then slump it in like a saddle shape and release the tucked bottom/tail) This exercise will massage your back and will force the heaviest part of the babies head to turn. When the back of the head is on the tail bone this causes extra pressure. The back of the baby is the heaviest part and by getting in hands and knees and tilting your pelvis the heavy part will spin around and the front of the baby's head the face will be facing the tail bone. This is called the anterior position. We want this anterior face to tail bone position. We don't want the posterior position which is the back of the baby's head to tail bone position.
    *Walking up and down stairs
    *Stand besides a chair or seat and with one foot on the chair your going to lean into the leg on the chair. This opens the pelvis. imagine that the pelvis in on hinges and the hinges open the pelvis wider with each lunge.
Counterpressure
  • *While on hands and knees or leaning over the back of the hospital bed or over the birth ball a support person can apply pressure to your sacrum. Using warm washclothes is nice for this. If you draw a V from the sides of your bottom to your crack, the point of the V is where you want to apply the counter pressure. The support person should use the heel of their hand and ask for feedback from the mother.
    *You can also use massage tools, rolling pin, cold soda cans, rice socks, etc. to give counter pressure.
Hot and Cold Therapy
  • *Warm showers or baths
    *Tupperware makes a rolling pin that you can put ice or hot water in
    *Ice packs or cold compresses
    *Heating pad, hot water bottle, microwave heat pack
To make a reusable heat pack you can put 3 cups of uncooked rice into a cotton sock and sew or tie the top closed. Microwave for 2 - 3 minutes for warm, moist heat. You can also add dried lavender or scented oils. But make sure to make atleast one unscented incase smells overwhelm you in labor. Sometimes we don't know until your in the moment.