View Single Post
October 10th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When they did the growth hormone test, did he get the pill and the shot and have blood drawn at 1 hour and 2 hours post pill and shot? Or did they just draw blood levels and look for IGF-1 levels?

The IGF-1 levels are an indirect method of measuring growth hormone. GH stimulates the liver to produce IGF-1 and that is how the IGF-1 levels are used to indirectly measure GH. The GH stimulating test, the pill and the shot, are substances (I forget what they are) that stimulate the pituitary to produce GH. One peaks GH production at 1 hour, and the other peaks at 2 hours post. In this test, they compare the post stimulation levels to the baseline levels. The magic number is 10. They like to see the levels rise above 10. If not, then there may be some problems.

Who did the GH tests? Was it an endocrinologist?

My dd was diagnosed with her GH defficiency at almost 3 years of age. We had to do the stim tests in order to have the insurance cover it. Other than that, her IGF-1 levels were right at the low end of normal. She was small for her age in both height and weight (>10%) but she still did maintain her own curve, it was just a very slow growing curve.