View Single Post
October 15th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Super Mommy
Last time my older children just happened to be at a sleepover around the block. My 3yo slept through it all (I labored from 2:45am-6:45am), after he was born we woke her and called for our other children.

This time I'm having my mom and my bestfriend entertain my other kids (ages 3, 7, 10, & 12) but I also recognize that everyone might be asleep again-if that's the case I'd still like to have them there just in case. I think my 7yo daughter is going to want to SEE the birth (she's very curious about it all) and I'm not sure how I feel about that as I'm REALLY modest during labor/birth.

Ever think of hiring a doula (or someone else-maybe your midwives have assistant they know who'd be up to it)to come watch your younger child? I know this sounds odd but I was once hired to do just that. A woman planning a homebirth for her 2nd child called me and asked if I would come care for her son during her labor. I came and met with him and we hit it off. Well, when she went into labor it was 2am but her son woke right up-he wanted to be able to "see" Mommy at all times-so we sat across the room where I quietly read him books (like over 20 in all!) Mom was lounging on the couch listening to hypnosis scripts. She wanted him to witness the birth IF he wanted to. She gave birth standing and after baby's head was born, he got really worried and so I took him into the other room until we heard baby cry. He wasn't "ready" to see his new sister or mom for about an hour after that-so instead I fed him breakfast, played in his bedroom with him, etc...until he was ready to go cuddle with mom. Then we took a few pictures and I left.

Worked out well.
Tabbitha Eve-7
Tyler Anthony-3
Jackson Bryce born 11/30! 7lbs 12oz/ 21.5in

<span style="color:#9932CC">“If you don’t know your options, you don’t have any.”-Diane Korte and Roberta Scaer

“Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” Jeannine Parvati Baker

“Anything I’ve ever done that ultimately was worthwhile…initially scared me to death.” Betty Bender