Topic: Amelia Kate
View Single Post
November 8th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Super Mommy
I can't believe I am posting this and she is 4 months old, but here it goes.

I had contractions on and off for literally weeks. I was originally give a due date of June 22nd, a second due date by ultrasound of July 1st (this was early in pregnancy). I really didn't want to be induced because I had an induction with my 2nd that went fine, but pitocin didn't do much and had an ineffective epidural so I was considering going natural. I decided I would be induced on July 3rd since my first two were both born on the 3rd of the month. I didn't think I would make it and neither did my doc, I was 3 cm a month before I had her and 4 cm by June 30th. Well, guess what I made it to the 3rd of July and at the beginning of my indcuction was 4 1/2 cm and I think maybe 80% effaced. They started IV and I think pitocin just before 6 am and broke my water at 6:05 am. Things got going pretty quickly, my doc who I love was around a lot and only left for a short time to do a c-section. It was fast and intense but when I asked to go to the bathroom the nurse brought me a bedpan and I was very disappointed that I was going to be stuck in bed (I should have talked to my doc about wanted to get up but I guess I wasn't thinking straight). Anyway the pain was pretty bad and I told them I wanted the epidural. My doc checked me and said I was already over 8 and encouraged me that I could probably do it naturally if I wanted but he promised to get me the main doc to the the epi (since I had a bad epidural from a nurse the last baby). I decided to get it but it never really took effect and I delivered her at 9:09 am literally after maybe 3 contractions worth of pushing. My only complaint is that I wish I would have planned more in advance about not getting an epidural and my wishes to get out of bed etc because I was uncertain during the labor and I know had I been able to get out of bed I could have gotten through it. The nurses sort of made me feel a little pressured as well because they kept saying, "you don't want to wait to long or you might not be able to get it and you might want it." Overall I had a beautiful experience though-oh I almost forgot, DH FAINTED right when she was being delivered! He literally hit his head on the wall and all the nurses ran over there, so I really didn't notice the pain right then because I was a little distraction. He was okay but had to be carried out on a stretcher to be checked and was embarrassed. Amelia Kate weighed in at 8 lbs 6 oz and was 21 inches long. I had a little bit of bleeding that they got under control immediately and very little tearing, no episiotomy. It was overall a great birth and she is a beautiful little girl with 2 big brothers!
Amelia Kate born July 3rd at 9:09 am
8 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches long