View Single Post
December 9th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
I don't know if it is fair to say that anyone who says that they feel sure that they would not get an abortion is being insensitive, mounting their high horse, and/or denigrating the victims of rape.
It is a very personal question and as I'm sure there are many people who *know* they would not get an abortion and end up getting one after such an experience there must also be many who *know* they would not get one and indeed do not. I am as sure as I could be at this point in my life, given my own personal beliefs about abortion, that I would not get one if I were raped. I understand if someone else thinks that perhaps that is unrealistic, but to say it is insensitive, judgemental, arrogant or whatever else is implied by the term "mounting your high horse" is a bit of a stretch to me. I'm only stating my own personal beliefs as asked by the OP, trying to predict my OWN behaviour in a hypothetical situation, not extending a blanket of judgement over anyone who chooses differently in a situation like that.[/b]
And, you might have noticed that my response elaborated beyond one sentence, but I will reiderate.

You CANNOT accurately predict an outcome if you cannot accurately hypothesize, any and all of, the potential details of the rape. If the OP was written with a, graphically detailed, account of a hypothetical rape scenario and included specific descriptions of the physical injuries that were sustained, the credibility of the responses might be worthy of minimum consideration, but in this instance I stand by what I previously stated.

Rape is NOT black and white. It is NOT always limited to forcible penetration of a penis into a vagina. Rape victimizes all kinds of people in all kinds of ways. It can involve children, mentally disabled or senior citizens. Some victims are attacked by strangers, friends, spouses or a group of attackers. Rape can involve oral sex, vaginal sex and/or sodomy (using genitals or inanimate objects). Recovery from rape can range from various degrees of emotional and psychological trauma, bruises, cuts or, in some cases surgery.

So, no, you cannot put yourself into every forseeable or unforseeable scenario of rape and imagine how it will impact you physically, much less psychologically. Imagining a rape that involves the least amount of violence and injury and predicting your reaction is unrealistic enough, but to believe you have the ability to prognosticate those choices and decisions in the worst case scenario is pompous and insensitive.